Home > Tech Problems > VLC Airplay on Airport Express

VLC Airplay on Airport Express

August 15th, 2011 Leave a comment Go to comments

There is a way to stream music to your airport express from VLC (means you don’t have to install iTunes).

Under preferences > all > stream output enter this in the “Default stream output chain”:

#transcode{acodec=alac,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:raop{host=<ip address of aiport express>,volume=175}

Categories: Tech Problems Tags: , ,
  1. Mac
    October 21st, 2011 at 18:40 | #1

I tried to do it, but could not find where to enter the parameters you indicated in my VLC (windows) are you using linux?? which version of VLC are you using… thanks
    MAC

2. anon
    October 25th, 2011 at 11:21 | #2

Didn’t work for me. Running Win7x64.

3. Julien
    November 29th, 2011 at 09:43 | #3

that trick is exactly what I’m looking for ! the only thing, is that I was unable to make it work.

I’m replacing this expression :

with digits of the airport express IP address.

Is there an other setting to apply ?

Thanks

4. saghaulor
    January 21st, 2012 at 17:38 | #4

This just works! Thank you so much for posting this.

5. Pilouccio
    March 25th, 2012 at 04:09 | #5

Don’t forget to restart VLC

6. Chris
    April 24th, 2012 at 21:26 | #6

It works fine with mp3 and m4a files but not with flac files… What a pity ! With a “normal” stream, flac works fine, maybe VLC realtime recodes FLAC to ALAC in its usual way of working which is bypassed by using a defined stream key… If someone succeeded in doing this trick with flac files, please tell !!!! Thanks.

7. scocasso
    May 1st, 2012 at 03:39 | #7

Doesn’t work for me.
    Plays from itunes, but from VLC, I get yellow-exclamation-mark-triangles next to the songs and nothing plays at all.

8. bart
    June 2nd, 2012 at 23:46 | #8

works perfectly, thank you very much!!! Just follow the steps, close the program and voila!!! Mine works great with the Airport Express firmware version 7.6

9. Sardia
    July 15th, 2012 at 04:33 | #9

@scocasso
    Maybe because your airport is protected with a password. Try removing the password.

10. mlte
    July 22nd, 2012 at 08:09 | #10

@Sardia
    I have the same issue, and tried to reset the airport connection to create a network without password, but its compulsory.. Any idea to bypass this problem ?

11. werdnA
    September 16th, 2012 at 18:41 | #11

This works wonderfully for music.

I would also like to just use this for video running on my computer.

So ie I watch a movie and stream the audio through the airport express but the video stays on the monitor.

So this is what it looks like now for me. What can we add or subtract to make the audio only go and let the video stay?

#transcode{acodec=alac,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:raop{host=10.0.1.9,volume=175}

I have disabled “enable video stream output” so that is not doing it.

12. November 9th, 2012 at 05:41 | #12

thank 4 this you!!!

13. abhi
    June 18th, 2013 at 14:19 | #13

thanks for this. works like a charm.

14. DJ Distraction
    August 19th, 2013 at 22:13 | #14

what if I have 2 airport and I want to stream it in two speakers, what’s gonna be the IP address declaration?

1. No trackbacks yet.